Claiming for a Sexually Transmitted Disease

Claiming for Infection with a Sexually Transmitted Disease. If you have been infected by a sexually transmitted disease, either as a result of a sexual assault, rape or even a consensual act, you may be able to claim compensation.

Compensation claims for infection with a sexually transmitted disease.

The current level of awards for catching a sexually transmitted disease range from £5,500 to £22,000 depending on the severity and duration of the infection.

Examples of such diseases are :

  • chlamydia
  • gonorrhoea
  • syphilis
  • genital herpes
  • genital warts
  • scabies
  • pubic lice

How to make your claim.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority

Compensation, in relation to your infection, may be available from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). This is a government-funded organisation that makes payments to the victims of violent crime. This can include passing on a sexually transmitted disease.

To receive an award you will need to show that you have been the victim of a crime of violence. Due to the nature of transmission of STDs this can be very difficult to show. The number of prosecutions for ‘Reckless Transmission’ under S20 of the Offences Against the Person act is very small.

It needs to be proved that the defendant/suspect foresaw that the unprotected sexual activity was likely to lead to infection but still went on to take that risk.

Civil claim against the party who infected you.

It may be possible to make a civil claim directly against the person who gave you the infection. In some cases, a claim can even be made against their employer.

Making a claim in such circumstances is never easy, especially where there is no allegation of forced sexual activity. You will need to show that you were not aware of your partner’s condition prior to the infection and that you were infection-free at the time of the sexual act. It is also crucial that the matter is reported to the police. The CICA will not make an award if the matter has not been reported to the police. You do not need to report the matter to the police to bring a civil claim though it may benefit your claim if you do so.

You must report it to the police as soon as you know of the infection. If you have contracted an STD and want clear, confidential advice on claiming, then contact us. Our experienced lawyers will be able to advise you on the best way to ensure you receive the award you deserve.

Get in touch with us today to see about claiming for a sexually transmitted disease.

To get the help you need to bring a compensation claim get in touch with us today:

  • call Mike Massen on 0113 224 7804, We will listen in complete confidence and give you the best advice on the strength of your claim,  We will answer all your questions so that you can decide if you want to proceed with your application to the CICA. If you do, we are here for you and can help.
  • email your contact details with as much information as you want to give us and we will call or email you; just let us know what works best for you. Email us at pop your details in the contact box on the top right of this page and we will get back to you for a free, confidential chat to see how we can help you.

Your claim can be dealt with on a No Win-No Fee basis.

Here to Help When You Need It Most.